Thursday, February 21

Comic Adventure

Monday evening, my long-time best friend and I were chatting online. She shared with me her new goal--to become a runner. I was very interested in her experience thus far, because that has become my goal for the year, too. I haven't gotten very far (pardon the pun), but I have worked up to walking briskly. We shared ideas and tips, and I made a goal to get up early the next morning for my workout.

Despite my best intentions, I did not go to the gym that morning. I went to bed after chatting, but I couldn't fall asleep. I got out of bed to work on some things and didn't make it back until 2 am. Needless to say, I didn't feel like getting up with my alarm at 6:15 am.

However, the girls gave me a great opportunity to get some exercise later that day. They asked me to rollerblade with them to their former school to see their friends at dismissal. I thought, "Great! Rollerblading isn't too hard and I will get a little exercise."

As I strapped my blades on, I saw Ashley was carrying flip flops. I tried to convince her to leave them home, even mocking her a little, but to no avail--the flip flops were coming. Off we went, Megan leading the way (doing the occasional jump with her blades), me in the middle, and Ashley bringing up the rear. By the time I was 10 houses away from ours, I was getting winded. My legs felt every motion acutely. Somehow, it wasn't as easy to rollerblade as it was when I was 18 and able to run a 5k.

Not wanting to wimp out, however, I continued on. As we left the entrance to our neighborhood, I fell. Luckily, it was on grass and no harm done. On with the journey.

I was having to pause every half block or so to catch my breath, but I was hanging in there. We reached the first street we had to cross and as I tried to stop on the sidewalk ramp, down I went. Good news! No damage, just a little embarassment for me and entertainment for anyone driving by.

I got back up, we crossed the street, and off we went. I was still getting a huge workout, but hanging in there. One time, I started to lose my balance and I flailed my arms in hopes of staying upright as the school custodian drove by. I was sure he was going to run off the road admiring my grace.

Finally, we reached the crosswalk to the school. Another sidewalk ramp, another crash. This time I hit my wrist harder and got my knee, too. A woman walking to the school stopped to check on me. I laughed it off, but I took a little longer getting up this time. As I was preparing to get up, a good friend from my ward drove up. She rolled down her window to check on me, and I told her I was OK but begged a ride home after she got her kids from school. I wasn't so sure about making this a round trip anymore.

After I got back up, we went the rest of the way to the school. I survived the half-mile journey! After the girls saw their friends, I popped off my rollerblades and walked stocking-footed to my friend's car. I applauded Einstein, I mean, Ashley, for bringing the flip flops as she casually strolled along. Megan was very disappointed that we weren't going to do a return trip, but I didn't feel like going to the ER that day.

I vowed to the girls that I would not do this again until I was able to do laps around our flat neighborhood. Ashley pointed out that our neighborhood was not flat, it had a hill. I laughed. We have no hill. A very, very, very, very minor incline to one side, that you hardly notice. Our neighborhood is flat, but Ashley was not convinced. (I'll let you know if that incline is as minor as I remember it when I am going around on blades )

Maybe I'll make it out this afternoon. Maybe not. My wrist is almost completely OK today, thank goodness. I learned, though, that I am not 18 anymore and not even close to running a 5k, either.

I'm staying closer to home from now on.

3 comments:

http://elderwolfedr.blogspot.com said...

Jenn, Jenn, Jenn!! Rollerblades are dangerous, very dangerous. I only went 10 feet with them on and they came off immediately. I do suggest the track at Century with Kristine Larsen. She'll get you in shape and teach you all the baby steps to running. It worked for me and I'd never run a step in my life. Good luck!

Brosita said...

Glad you are ok. Don't give up on your goal! You can do it!

Anonymous said...

That is such a funny story....and I am SO JEALOUS that you can rollerblade in February. We are still freezing to death in Utah. I havent been outside in months!