The other night, the girls and I were watching a program that included a family that ate raw everything. I saw them both look back at me, wondering if I am going to go that crazy on them. No, not me. But I am surprised by the changes in our diet.
The organic meat and produce is paying off. I used our first organic chicken breasts this week. They were a beautiful, golden color, unlike the ones I usually buy. But what really surprised me was that Miss M, who rarely enjoys what I cook ate some, then ate some more and finally made sure she had leftovers for the next day. We also ate an organic watermelon, which was the best one we've ever had. Miss M thought it was so good she wants to buy another one herself.
I find myself craving fewer sweets eating more organic foods. I am much more satisfied by a home-cooked meal with quality ingredients than when I use more convenience foods in the kitchen. When I grabbed some fish sticks and mac and cheese for a quick lunch this week, I spent the rest of the day feeling sick.
And I can't fail to mention that my depression is doing much better since I gave up artificial sweeteners.
The more I see these improvements, the more I want to eat naturally and organic. It is a bit more expensive, but I am enjoying my food more and feeling better. That is worth it to me. And since we have purchased so much of our meat in bulk, that helps my food budget cover the organic options.
(I highly suggest reading Animal, Vegetable, Mineral by Barbara Kingsolver or In Defense of Food by Michael Pollen to learn more.)
1 comment:
I've made changes in my diet as well. I'm going to start making bread using organic wheat. It's supposed to digest better and it's more nutritious because of the living organisms on them that get killed by all the pesticides. Perhaps all living organisms on foods are meant to be consumed. I'm glad you mentioned the good side effects of your diet change. Good to know.
Post a Comment