Look at this face. Isn't he adorably cute? The white fluff, charcoal black eyes and nose. And when he smiles, you can see his perfectly pink tongue. There is a reason this breed is used in advertising and magazines quite frequently.
But don't let his cuteness fool you. He is a petty thief.
Over the past couple of months, I have watched my tomato plants grow and bloom and set perfectly round green tomatoes. Eagerly, I have been awaiting the first one that was turning red. It was just about perfect. Then, one morning, I glanced out my window and saw only green tomatoes. But there was a nearly perfect red one just the other day. I quickly inspected my counters to see if my husband had picked it, but we only had a couple of tomatoes from our farm co-op.
That is when I knew our thief was back.
He will sneak into the garden when we are not watching and steal tomatoes. I had not seen any evidence of theft so far this year, so I had hopes for a full harvest this year. But no. When this one tomato was just about at its peak, before we could get to it, he stole it and ate the whole thing. Then he went back and snuck a green one or two. He deserves the upset stomach he has had since.
He also has a fondness for strawberries, and last year ate my entire new cilantro starts. It is hard to grow much of anything when you have a thief coming to steal it all.
I just have one question....why couldn't he have a thing for zucchini???
1 comment:
Love the family picture and the new look of your blog. Darling! it is a good thing Tucker lives with you, because as you recall my love for tomatoes . . . that wouldn't of gone over well at my house. My kids are afraid to touch my tomatoes without written permission. I do love a vine ripe tomato! Delicious!
Post a Comment