Thursday, October 1

Whatever you do, don't throw me in the olive bar!

(Whole Food's Olive Bar)

Yesterday was payday, and to the joy of my children, shopping day. Our cupboards always look so much better and the girls' faces are so much happier when they open the pantry or the fridge after shopping day. It beats watching the depression wash over my daughter's face as she stares at the open, somewhat empty fridge. Or the looks of horror when I suggest ramen or peanut butter and jelly. Again. And again. And again.

The miracle of yesterday was that I not only spent the entire day shopping, but that I had Asian short ribs in the crock pot when I got home. Megan had asked me if we were "fending" for dinner (scrounging up whatever you can on your own) while she loaded up the groceries onto the register conveyor. I was proud to announce that I had dinner in the crock pot. I think she passed out from the shock of that information.

The major shopping day meant a trip to WinCo. I have a love/hate relationship with this store. It can be crowded and dirty (don't ask me about the bathroom story). The produce is OK at best and I've had a few problems with their meat through the years. And going on a Saturday afternoon is just about like taking your life in your hands... But their prices are amazing on dry/canned goods. I have tried to swear them off and shop somewhere else, but I always end up saying, "I can't buy that here! It's half the price over at WinCo, and it's a bigger size!" So off I go each month, wondering why I still shop there until I get my receipt.

As I walked through the store yesterday, I walked by their newest offering: the olive bar. I've seen olive bars in other stores, and they look intriguing. But WinCo's just grosses me out. While the olives look bright and appealing in other stores, these look almost sickly to me, swimming in oil or brine or whatever they are in. Then I start imagining the people who walk by and stick their hands in to grab a quick snack....the thought gives me nightmares. Silly, I know. But real, nonetheless.

I'll buy olives in a can,
I'll buy them in a jar,
Just don't make me get them
From WinCo's olive bar.

2 comments:

DotsofDelight said...

ok, yeah, that's just gross!

Rachel said...

I have had the same thought! Every time I walk by it's kind of like "just try not to look!"