One bright, Saturday morning three years ago I got into the first car I ever rented. I had flown to Utah to spend Memorial Day weekend with my parents, knowing it would probably be the last time I see Mom.
I married right after I turned 19, so with the exception of a one-way trip to North Carolina to meet my in-laws, I had never traveled alone. I had never rented a car. As far trips go, it was probably the most exciting, heart-wrenching, and slightly stressful travel I'd ever done.
As I dialed the radio as I drove out of the terminal, I found my favorite song on the radio, "Makes Me Wonder" by Maroon 5. I bopped along down the freeway, eager to meet up with my folks. I love that song. Love it. It makes me feel happy.
Of course, one day Ashley came home from school and announced that "Makes Me Wonder" has the "f" word in it. That's when my mixed emotions about Maroon 5 began. Their music is upbeat and fun, their lyrics--not so much. I've gone back and forth whether I will listen to them or not. Right now? I think they make great workout music. I guess you'd call it my guilty pleasure.
My other pleasure, if not so guilty? Reading blogs by Stephanie Nielsen and her sister, Courtney. Those blogs inspire me, touch me, and make me laugh.
Little did I know that my other not-so-guilty pleasure is connected to my guilty pleasure.
Stephanie and Courtney's brother married a girl named Lisa. Today, I read a great guest post on Courtney's blog, and which led me to Lisa's blog. It turns out her brother is the lead guitarist in Maroon 5. Go figure. A Mormon connection to Maroon 5. Never would have thunk that.
I guess it just goes to show we live in a crazy, mixed-up world. And somehow, we're supposed to navigate through it.
Wishing us all luck.
No comments:
Post a Comment