Thursday, June 25

The Grill Saga...

Our grill was looking particularly dingy this spring. After reading a bunch of articles about cleaning grills, and noticing that only about half of the burner holes were firing, I persuaded my husband to clean out the grill. He took out a ton of brittle metal crumbs that lined the bottom. When I watched him fire it up, I expressed my concern about its viability. He assured me that it would last until the end of the summer, at which time we might just get a new one.

I had my doubts, but I wanted a happy hubby, so I didn't argue. I cooked a couple of meals on it. It had a lot of flare-ups, but did OK.

Then our in-laws were here. We were heading out on the road to Canada the next day. My husband was working shift, so I was packing, cleaning, cooking, entertaining on my own. I was looking forward to providing a delicious steak dinner (with our recently butchered local beef) for the family.

I preheated the grill and scrubbed off the remnants of the last meal. Then I turned down the flames to low and put on the steaks. I went to clean the kitchen floor while they cooked for several minutes.

When I went back out to the grill, there was smoke pouring from under the hood. I noticed the thermometer on the lid had blown past its highest temp marking (800 degrees Fahrenheit). I opened the lid. I think those were steaks there. I am not really sure, since they were charcoal lumps. I pulled them off the grill as quickly as I could, wondering how long it would take for my eyebrows to completely burn off. Dinner was dead. And our lovely stainless steel grill was now a lovely golden color from the heat intensity.



When my husband came home, I was on the porch, visibly upset. When he asked me what was wrong, I informed him that I had cremated "Hank" (our name for our butchered cow).

When he got to the grill, this is what he saw....



He thought I had literally cremated Hank.

When I showed him the plate, we had a good laugh.



We now own a new charcoal grill.



Our old one is available for scrap metal. Or your own private cremation device.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh my! I posted an old BBQ for "free" on craigslist and I had many people who wanted to come take it for scrap, if you're looking to get rid of it quick!

Jen said...

Did that last night. I had like 20 emails. The person who picked it up actually wanted it to refurb and use...May God bless his efforts.