Saturday, July 18

Beware of Artificial Sweeteners

Last year, as I began my big weight loss push, I added Crystal Light to my diet. I don't particularly enjoy drinking straight water, but I will drink flavored drinks. I really don't enjoy sodas, but love juices...case in point, my favorite soda is Hawaiian Punch.

Obviously, you can drink a ton of calories very easily, so hence the Crystal Light option. I do drink a lot of milk, but had to cut it down to once a day for Weight Watchers points purposes.

Well, I've had a major depressive crash this year, and felt another smaller crash building earlier this month. When I think back to both, the only correlation I could see (that I hadn't already ruled out with my doctor) was I was drinking more CL than usual.

I am growing more and more concerned about the quality of the foods in my diet, and turning to local, organic foods. So tonight, I started researching aspartame just for fun.

There was a study done about 16 years ago of aspartame and individuals with depression. Those with depression who were given the aspartame had such extreme reactions that the study was shut down. There is a very scary link between seizures, depression and mental disorders and the effects of aspartame. It blocks the absorption of serotonin, which those with chemical imbalances already struggle with.

I am swearing off the stuff right now. I am going to cut all artificial sweeteners, actually, because there are accounts of Splenda causing problems with depression.

I encourage you to think about it, too.

While you're at it...check out this blog post on store eggs vs. farm eggs. I now buy eggs from my mechanic, of all people. He sells farm eggs at the shop. :)

5 comments:

Ashley said...

And we just bought Coke for the migraine of mine from the other night....'course, it's diet. Would that make a difference??

I'm swearing off the stuff, too! Or...going to try, anyways!

Dina said...

Sugar all the way for me! :) But, that's easy for me to say because I only drink milk and water. I've always watched my weight and I never swear off anything with sugar. My motto is moderation. It takes self control, but it works for me.

Sorry about the depressive episodes. I hope that you can see a difference long term.

Mary said...

That is interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing it. And I'm going to stop by that fresh eggs place next time I see it for my own taste test.

http://elderwolfedr.blogspot.com said...

Good to know! We've gone a bit organic around here too. We love farm fresh eggs. They just taste so much better. We also have a freezer of pig and cow. It's quite a change from 3 years ago!!

Kendra at New Life On A Homestead said...

Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for the mention!! Glad to see that you are able to get your own farm fresh eggs :)