Time is my biggest enemy right now. I wake up, having intentions to get my to-do list whittled down, only to find it has grown by the end of the day. As I go to bed, I pray that the whirlpool of frustration will calm and I will have a decent chance at keeping up the next day.
As the black hole of time was swirling around me last night, I made a startling discovery. I spent quite a while unsuccessfully attempting to clean all the dried pasta remnants out of my pasta maker. Finally, I gave up and put it away. Later, as I was making a treat for the girls, I discovered I missed putting a panel back onto the cutter. I debated whether I should just throw it back into the box and worry about it later or if I should take the extra time to put it away properly.
45 seconds remained on the microwave as it melted chocolate chips. I decided to do it right, and hoped that the task would not take too long. I grabbed the box from the cupboard, removed the pasta maker, grabbed the screwdriver and replaced the panel properly. The beep sounded as I was taking the box back to the cupboard.
Imagine my surprise and I discovered it took less than one minute. I was sure it was at least a five minute job.
One of my favorite time management tricks is that when a task takes less than two minutes, do it now. Now I am left to wonder: How many 2 minute tasks have I put off, believing they are 20 minute tasks?
I am grateful for the Spirit to guide my thoughts through this. As I was lamenting all the bigger jobs that I do not get done, I was inspired to realize that all I need do is schedule blocks of time for them in my day. I need to sew a skirt with Ashley? Schedule an evening for it. Cleaning the garage? Schedule an afternoon.
Life need not be so overwhelming. I just make it complicated.
No comments:
Post a Comment