
I hate to admit it, but our family flunked the assignment to read the Book of Mormon in six months from our stake presidency. As usual, we had loads of good intentions, but that was about it. I think we made it through 1st Nephi, we saw at least some of 2nd Nephi, and had random glimpses of everything beyond that.
(I've been wondering lately why there is so much Isaiah in the first part of the Book of Mormon. I've come to the conclusion that the Lord figured if we had to read it every time we started reading the Book of Mormon, we might actually have a chance of understanding it after our 100th attempt to read the entire book again....)
Having put our dismal efforts at the Book of Mormon behind us, we have started into the assignment to read the New Testament with plenty of enthusiasm. Or at least, I thought so.
We made it all the way into Matthew 9. The usual argument for who reads first ensued, and Megan won out since Ashley grabbed that opportunity by the horns the other night. I really don't think it is out of joy to read first so much as it is the chance to get the assignment over with first, so they can zone out for the next 30 verses.
Megan started reading, and just a couple of verses in she read the word "blaspheme." Jesse quickly stopped her and asked her if she knew what that meant.
"No, and I don't really care," came the prompt reply.
And she continued on reading, after a look that let us know that she wanted no further interruptions.
All righty, then. We may actually make it all the way through Matthew, most of Luke, and a smattering of everything else, but who knows if the kids will actually learn anything.
1 comment:
That scripture language sure is tough but I love the spirit reading the scriptures brings into our home. We only read 2 verses each turn and before we start, Bill asks someone to "tell about the page" when we finish reading. Our trouble is getting everyone to keep those eyes open. :)
Post a Comment