Wednesday, November 14

Life is never dull with Megan

As I write this, there are two very large, very live, very ugly spiders in a plastic container on the top of my desk.

Why, you ask?

One word. Megan.

Megan loves all of God's creatures. I mean ALL - cute and cuddly or scary and ugly. An unfortunate side aspect of this is that if you find a cool bug, friendly or not, you know she wants it.

Yesterday, as Jesse was going back to work, we saw two large, marble orbweaver spiders on the fender of his car. Thank goodness he was home, or else she would never have the experience of seeing them. Of couse, he suggested freezing them. I had a moment of temporary insanity and said, No, let's keep them alive for her. (What was I thinking??????????)

This isn't a first. There was the day there was a longhorn beetle on the gasoline pump at the gas station. She was in tears as we left because I wouldn't catch it. Or the time I found a dead cricket on the front porch. Into the container. I later found it on her desk next to a page of notes about it. Let's not forget the time she took a real spider into Kindergarten for spider week. I made her catch that one. Then she lost it, and while she dried her tears, I caught her another one. EWWW!

So, what is the fate of these spiders? Nope, not going back out into the garden. They are being saved for her birthday party on Saturday. I think I have the only child in the world who wants to take spiders to show everyone at her birthday party.

There is only one Megan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Megan. She is hysterical. I can just picture those spiders....silently suffocating in their containers.

How many animals (excluding spiders) do you guys have now?

http://elderwolfedr.blogspot.com said...

I am sooooo glad she is your daughter!!!! You are the perfect parents for her. I WOULD NOT of kept any spider for her!! Snake maybe. Salamander, yes! Mouse, possibly. Spider, no way in ____________________!!!!