Monday, November 12

Public school magazines, I mean textbooks

I taught at school from her math book for the few days before we brought her home. The math book didn't feel like it had enough problems to create good understanding of the topic, and it was so full of pictures and pop-culture it was hard to find the math in it. Hello, Saxon math.

Jesse thought we'd like the history book, though. I even used it for a little over 1 unit. I skipped the first 50 pages, because they wasn't any history there, just an overview of what a great country we have. By the time I hit explorers, I couldn't stand it. Our student encyclopedia had more information on the Vikings than her book. On one page, there might be three sentences with something somewhat meaningful in it. Pretty soon, I returned the teacher edition I'd borrowed. A few days later, I returned the textbook, too.

For the time being, I am using a series called The History of Us. I really like it, but I am not willing to fork out the big bucks for the teacher guides yet. So that means I am reading along and creating my own questions for her to answer.

It is a great history program, it's just a lot of work right now.

No comments: