Monday night, we were lucky to have our good friends, who are RVing around the country, stop by. They have a monstrously big rig, but compared to the size of their former house, it's not much. Most of their stuff is in storage while they are on this adventure. They have learned they need a lot less "stuff" than they used to have.
Their experience got me thinking. How much do I really need? Honestly, I am an organization and decluttering junkie. I don't have the closets, cupboards and shelves jammed full. Somehow, though, I still feel overwhelmed with "stuff" much of the time.
I remember a vacation home we stayed in on the Oregon coast one summer. It was so light, airy and comfortable. I observed that although it had everything I needed for a comfortable stay, it was not packed to the gills. I dreamed of having my house be like that...relaxing, with the things I really enjoy around me, and not all the "I might want to use it" items filling every nook and cranny in between.
I got further inspiration this morning. I love to read the website www.unclutterer.com. It is full of good tips and inspiring desks and humorous, space-hogging, ridiculus products (making Unitasker Wednesday my favorite day of the week).
Today, they posted four aphormisms. They are the four commandments of staying organized...
- The less you own, the less you have to clean. This applies to quantity of objects as well as square footage in your home.
- One in, one out. If you buy something new, you need to get rid of whatever it’s replacing.
- If you get it out, put it back. An especially great rule to implement to keep your home and office orderly.
- Guilt is not a reason to keep something. This one is self explanatory.
No comments:
Post a Comment