Saturday, April 17

Homeschool vs. School


Ashley's been back to school for nearly a month, and Megan is going on a couple of weeks. It's been a new adventure all over again.

*When I dropped Meg off on her first day, I checked with her before I left the classroom. I asked, "Are you all right?" Her reply? "Yes, except for one word," with a backward glance at the girl who punched her at church last summer.

*My life is now dictated by the clock. The middle school starts late enough after the elementary that I have to drop Meg off, go back home, wait, and then take Ashley. It's the same drill after school. The good news? On a beautiful day, Meg and I just go play at the park until Ash gets out.

*There is one day a week that the middle school starts late, and the elementary school gets out early. Couldn't they have coordinated that a little better, too?

*Megan actually likes school now--unlike her first couple of years in public. As for Ashley, the honeymoon has worn off and she is looking forward to summer. Eight weeks to go.

*I have a lot of free time on my hands, or so I thought. I just have time to take care of the house and actually get the laundry done. Initially, I dreamed of all the things I could add to my life...now I realize I'll just enjoy the moments of quiet and maybe get to play piano or sew again or work on my family history.

*We took our girls out at the right time, and they went back at the right time, even though each experience was rather sudden and unexpected.

*Having time to myself is healthy. And the girls get along better. Life is good.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

girlfriend, you need a carpool!