Thursday, April 22

I did an alright job after all...


Ashley came home today and said, out of the blue, "Thank you for doing such a good job homeschooling me."

Knowing that those comments generally don't flow spontaneously from teenagers, I asked what was driving that nicety.

"Mrs. Anderson [her language arts teacher] told me to tell you."

My greatest fear in homeschooling was that I would do my children a disservice by taking them out of public and being their teacher. I prayed that I would at least be able to keep them on par with where they had been.

It turns out they are, or maybe even a little better. After less than one month back, Megan has exceeded on both her state math and reading tests, and Ashley exceeded on her state math test. Her LA teacher routinely finds her work beyond a good 7th grade effort. I never taught to a test, just solid basics, and it seems to have paid off.

Please forgive me for a little bragging on my kids. I am just so relieved to know that I did right by them as their teacher.

No comments: