Sunday, May 9

Happy Mother's Day


Happy Mother's Day to all the great moms I have known in my life--including you!

I have to admit, I really thought about not going to church today so I could miss the annual parade of perfect mothers in the talks. Right now, I feel like a good mom, but am struggling with my own sense of worth. So the last thing I needed was another talk about noble motherhood. Thankfully, someone must have gotten to our bishopric because we didn't have a single talk about perfect mothers. In fact, the talks merely brushed on motherhood. Phew!

The bishopric also gave out chocolate this year instead of a flower to kill. (Bless them!) In Relief Society, our lovely teacher gave us tidbits about all the prophets' mothers instead of a deep spiritual discussion on the doctrine prophets. I now know that President Monson's mother was a yeller and kept an imperfect house and that David O. McKay's mother decided to spare the rod on her children...after he was the experiment. And one prophet's mom considered her greatest triumph that her daughter won 1st place in the straw-weaving hat contest, not in raising a prophet. Maybe there is hope for my kids.

Is it sacrilegious to pick out your own Mother's Day gift?? I went out yesterday morning before my husband was awake and got a ton of stuff to finish sprucing up my yard (which I could never have gotten if he had been tagging along). I had been dreaming of escaping to the beach by myself, but then I figured I could spend that money making my backyard an oasis I could enjoy everyday. It was close to being done, but there were still a few things I wanted to do. To my husband's credit, instead of blowing a gasket he smiled and helped me get things put together and situated. And he sits outside and enjoys it with me.

God sent us the most beautiful weather, too, so I spent all yesterday out working and enjoying my yard and I am out again enjoying it today. And He sent a little birdie to enjoy my new birdbath.

I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day, too.

No comments: