Friday, September 14

The Most (Dis)Organized Girl in the World



Once upon a time, my doctor ordered some blood work. Since it had been a while since I got depressing things (like my cholesterol) checked, I figured I might as well. My fast started around 6:30 pm, and I planned on going to the lab in the morning.

I ended up sleeping in until 10:00 am. Normally, that would be a great thing, but I now had an unnecessarily long 16 hour fast. After I got ready, it was 11:00 am. 16.5 hours and counting, I grabbed my keys and was ready to head out the door...except that I had forgotten where I’d placed the lab orders sheet.

Several frantic minutes later, I found the folder they were in, but they weren’t there. Aaah! Light bulb then clicks on in my head, and I remember I put them on the fridge so that I WOULDN’T lose track of them!

Then I couldn’t find my wallet. Repeat frantic search. During the hunt, I thought about the irony that I am known for being super organized, yet here I was wasting time because I wasn't. FAIL.

I finally found it. Since I had been using a combination of wallets the past few weeks, I took a minute to combine them back into a single wallet.

I’m ready to head out the door. Wait – where are my keys???

Now I’m retracing my frantic steps to find my keys. Keys? Check. Wallet (with lab orders inside)? Check. Finally on my way!

I made it to the lab around 11:30 am. I got out of the car, pulled out my wallet, and headed towards the lab. Guess what. The lab orders WEREN’T inside my wallet. FAIL.

I'm at 17 hours of fasting, people! And I usually refrain from fasting because it's important to keep my blood sugar stable. For a split second, I thought about taking the message from the cosmos – but there is NO way I wanted to do this twice. So I climbed in my car and headed back home.

At home, the orders sat waiting for me on my bed – where I had put them while combining wallets.

Fast forward back to the lab parking lot. After a 17.5 hour fast and subsequent blood draw, I could finally eat again. SUCCESS.

I was skipping toward the exit when I noticed one of my friends from the therapy program. I could have just snuck by, but I figured it would be nice to say hello. I waited for her to talk (and talk and talk) with the pharmacist. Finally, she turned around and I said, “Hi!”

A blank look crossed her face. (I am extending my fast for a lady who doesn’t even remember me?!!!)

I told her my name.

Blank look.

I said I was part of the outpatient program. Blank loo—wait…lights coming back on…”Oh! We went to Burger King together, right?” Jackpot.

She talked (and talked and talked) with me. Eventually, I had a chance to mention I needed to go eat and so she let me go – after she asked why I hadn’t eaten, what I was having tested, why, etc.

At long last, I made it to breakfast lunch. I had survived an 18 hour fast. My cholesterol had better be picture perfect!

Epilogue: In case you were wondering, I went home and got organized. I had a reputation to restore.

No comments: