Wednesday, September 5
Unexpected Journey
A little over two weeks ago, things felt very bleak for me.
I have been struggling with depression cycles for longer than I can remember. Ups and downs, good times and bad. Lately, the ups felt shorter and the downs felt heavier. I was doing my best to keep going, even when I didn't feel like it.
After being sick for two weeks, having a much looked forward to trip cancelled due to mechanical problems with the plane, suffering from the side effects of antibiotics for weeks, and the weather and our health during a trip to the beach leaving much to be desired, I hit bottom.
For me, bottom meant suicidal thoughts. It meant a day and night under psychiatric supervision. It meant losing a lot of personal freedom in an effort to keep me safe.
Walking into the hospital emergency room voluntarily was the hardest thing I
have ever done. I had to acknowledge that I couldn't handle life by myself anymore. I had to admit that I couldn't manage my depression myself. I had to admit I was weak. However, in the days since then, I've learned that taking those painful steps into the ER weren't an admission of weakness -- instead, they were evidence that I was still strong. Strong enough to recognize my need for help. Strong enough to do something that I hoped I would never have to do. Strong enough to tell those around me that I needed more than a day of sunshine to feel better. This whole experience has been full of dichotomy for me. Heaven was not closed off -- answers were coming to my prayers and I was getting blessings far above my capacity to receive them. Feeling alone, I learned how many friends I truly have. Feeling worthless, I learned my value to those around me. In Proverbs, it says, "Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning." I can testify that is true. It's hard to open up about the depth of my pain and experiences, but I am discovering that my story may help others. I am not some sort of hero. I am just an ordinary woman, willing to share my story. I am opening up my life to the world, so they may know the abyss known as depression, and that hope is always there in spite of it. Welcome to my journey.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
So sorry to hear this, Jenny, but I am so glad you went in for help. Hugs to you as you learn, grow and heal.
Post a Comment