I am learning, slowly, about the differences between gifts. When both our girls were blessed as newborns, Jesse promised them gifts of music. We have both looked forward to seeing those gifts evolve as they have gotten older.
Ashley is in her sixth year of piano lessons, and is progressing wonderfully. She has learned some beautiful classical pieces, and recently began learning Fur Elise. We love to listen to her play. She is playing almost as well as Jesse and me. (Ugh! We are excited and sad this day has come.)
Megan has been taking for two plus years. Recently, I noticed her piano practice time involved her sitting on the piano and banging out random chords for 28 minutes and 2 minutes of something I might recognize. I realized that this was her way of telling us she was not interested in piano right now. We talked to her and she was relieved to take a break. I was disappointed, but secretly happy because I got to take her spot with our piano teacher.
I have had mixed emotions since then. I love lessons (and getting to stay ahead of Ashley), but I wish Megan was taking lessons. I want her to be able to have music in her life as she grows older. I was excited when she asked to start lessons again a couple of weeks ago, but she quickly forgot about that request.
Last night, I was given a little snippet of heaven, and learned that piano lessons are not a requirement for the gift of music. When I came up to bed, Megan was tucked in with the Children's Primary Music CD playing. She had a copy of the songbook open and she was singing along with the songs. She had me pause the CD and sing A Child's Prayer to her, then she continued to sing along by herself in her room for an hour. It was the sweetest thing I ever heard!
I am thankful to have learned that gifts come in all different packages. Whether or not she ever takes piano again, I can rest assured she has been given the gift of music to carry forward in her life.
1 comment:
Hey Jen that is really neat! Thanks for sharing....I will have to remember that for my boys.....the waiting part....!
Post a Comment