I have always shied away from bagel shops because I know
1. their bagels are incredibly good...much better than anything from the store
-and-
2. the price tells you just how much better they are than store bagels.
I was tempted, however, when I got a coupon for a free bagel every Friday at the gourmet shop. I knew if I stepped into temptation, it wouldn't be such a free bagel, so I just tucked it away and forgot about it.
This morning the girls had a dentist appointment right over by the bagel shop. They were hungry afterward, and I thought, "Hey, we might as well go get our free bagel."
So I flipped a u-turn after leaving the dentist (and watched a guy almost fall on his butt trying to get back on the sidewalk...made the u-turn so worth it to watch a jaywalker get all bobbled up) and headed over there. When we walked in, I checked their other coupons to see which deal I was going to use while we were there.
Of course, the girls could not agree on a single bagel flavor for the free bagel, so we got the free one and got the bagel box half off. Of course, it just so happened that our free bagel wasn't one of the free ones, so I only got part of the cost back. Then the girls wanted some juice to drink and I was feeling generous after their teeth cleaning...so we left $13 later with our not-so-"free" bagel and more to enjoy.
Oh man...those bagels are divine! We demolished three in the car ourselves. My husband had one with his lunch, and gave me dirty looks when I asked for a bite. He obliged, but watched to make sure I didn't take too big of one.
So now I am left with a dilemma. I am too cheap to buy bagels at the rate we will eat them, so I need to find a killer bagel recipe. Time to dust off the cookbooks and start practicing.
I am reminded, though, that because I have little personal goals to learn to make things better than they do in restaurants/shops, I never get to go out to eat anymore. I should never have learned to be a good cook or give hair cuts. It just adds to my workload!
2 comments:
I hear ya, I love Noah's bagel sandwiches and don't want to pay the price for them. I know what you mean too about the adding to your work load, I just so happen to be married to a food snob. There is always a better version somewhere and I am driven to save money by doing it myself.
I'm with you on the hair cuts! Man, when Gordon announces it's hair cut day my arms instantly start aching! 4 heads later, they all look pretty cute but I'm seriously exhausted!
Post a Comment