Wednesday, March 10

Mall Lessons


And the verdict is....

... 7th grade ...

Ashley was bummed, but Jr. and I felt relieved. She could have handled 8th, but we think she will be set up to be much more successful staying at grade level.

When she found out she was in her good friend's student body group, she felt much better.

And being in home ec helped her feel even better.

Today has been crazy getting things put together for tomorrow. When I started out this week, I was homeschooling her until the fall. Suddenly, we needed to make sure she had enough jeans for school every day, which ended up taking us to the mall.

Having not set foot in a mall in six months, and not having spent more than fifteen minutes inside of one in, I don't know, years, I discovered some things.

1. The anchor store you choose to park at will not, in fact, be the store you need. You will need the one at the complete opposite end of the mall.

2. Just because a store website lists a location does not, in reality, mean that store is open. I was so happy to not have to go into North Portland for Aeropostale, but when we found it in our mall, the doors were closed and they were still getting ready to open. I wanted to scream when I saw the sign put up a little after we found it -- "Opening Tomorrow, 10 am." We went to the mall just for this store! Aargh!

(note the closed doors, just like we saw today)

3. Just because you fed everyone and packed snacks does not mean that they will not have starvation pain during the journey. Ch-ching, Auntie Annie's Pretzels. (P.S. their cheese sauce is not as good as I remembered...they used to serve it warm....)

4. Just because your daughter is wearing Levi's 518 size 5 jeans, and insists that she must have more pairs of Levi's 518 size 5 jeans, does not mean that they will fit her when you walk another five stores to find them. And then you will be doubly upset that Aeropostale isn't opening until tomorrow.

5. If you've been shopping Target clearance and Goodwill regularly, don't, I repeat, don't go into Williams Sonoma.

6. Just because the President's kids look good in J-Crew and you know your kids would look good in J-Crew doesn't mean you won't have a panic attack when you see the prices. We waved at the super cute $78 white blouse and $118 ballet flats as we waltzed by.

7. Sometimes, Gap will put belts on sale just when you need one.

8. You know you are out of your league when your oldest declares the Nordstrom bathrooms the nicest she's ever used (including her own at home) and your youngest spends time in the lounge area of the bathrooms checking under couch cushions for lost change and declares, "Couch diving is a lost art."

I don't think I'll be going back anytime soon.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Sista, I'm with you. Me and the mall do not get along - but every once and a while I go with just Em and we have a real fun time - especially if we're on a tight schedule.

DotsofDelight said...

Ok, that's just funny. Thanks for sharing; I had a good laugh. :-)