Sunday, August 10

Flamingo attack




Last Sunday morning, as I was getting ready for church, Miss A came running down the hall to me.

"We have flamingoes all over our front yard!" she shouted.

I ran to the window and looked out. It was true. We had been invaded by a flock of pink flamingoes, courtesy of our friends. There were large flamingoes and baby ones, which my husband informed Miss M didn't emerge until our sprinklers came on early that morning.

There is a local high school student who, for a small donation, will plop a whole flock of flamingoes in your friend's yard. She is raising money for a youth trip next summer.

We met her when she came back to pick up the birds (I really wanted to keep them for a few days!). She is a very sweet girl and had some great stories to tell about her fundraising program. When their church youth group does this fundraiser, they actually sell "flamingo insurance." It will keep your yard flamingo-free, even if someone pays to have them in your yard. One of the funniest stories was about the wife who looked out the window, saw a flock of flamingoes and that it was snowing in April (that never happens...except this year!). She woke her husband in the middle of the night to tell him, and he thought his wife had lost it. The snow was gone by morning, but not the flamingoes. (I bet she was glad.)

Did we pass it on? Our lips are sealed!

No comments: