Tuesday, August 12

Freezer woes

Yesterday, as I checked out blogs, I read the sad story of a family who bought locally butchered beef to freeze and headed out on vacation. While they were gone, the outlet their freezer was plugged into cut off, and they came home to smelly, unuseable meat. My heart just ached for the over $600 loss they faced. I was grateful that I have a reliable freezer that doesn't do such things to me.

However, after lunch Miss M informed me that the otter pops from the freezer were not frozen. I went out to check the state of our freezer, and things seemed to feel softer than normal. I tinkered with the freezer to get the compressor to kick on, which it finally did.

After dinner, we checked it, and things were still thawing. Of course, it's evening, so we won't be able to get a repairman out until at least tomorrow and by then it would be too late for our food. We made a couple of quick and desperate phone calls to friends and found a nearly empty freezer we could store our food in until our freezer was fixed.

We put everything we could into coolers for transport and headed over to our friends' house. We left a few items we didn't need to keep in our freezer to see if emptying it and adjusting the thermostat would help.

When we returned home, magically our freezer was working again. I am relieved we will not need to have a repair call, and am even more thankful for our friends' kindness to save our food. We have a lot of local salmon and halibut in our supplies as well as roasts, chicken, and pork. And we cannot forget the 13 bags of cherries from our tree this summer and our locally picked berries and jams.

Our story has a happier ending...I hope! (fingers crossed)

No comments: