After the girls went to bed last night, Jesse and I were relaxing downstairs. Around 9:30 pm, we received a phone call from hotels.com. The representative asked if I knew a woman by the name of Cindy (can't remember the last name). I wasn't sure I had heard the name before, and I was positive I hadn't when they told me she had made a $175 reservation for a hotel in Santa Ana, California on MY credit card. They immediately reversed the charge, and I called American Express to report my card number had been stolen. How did it happen? I was holding the card in my hand at the time. I recently read an article in the paper describing the newest credit card theft tactic. Thieves try combinations of credit card numbers and once in a while they hit the jackpot with a valid number. I figure it was either that or someone got hold of my number somehow from a transaction. Either way, I would have had no idea that my card number had been stolen unless hotels.com had called.
I will be making my reservations on hotels.com from now on!
No comments:
Post a Comment