Recently, I came to the conclusion that I have grown up. Somewhere in my late 20's, I couldn't eat everything I wanted and not gain weight. (darn it!) However, I didn't pay much attention and figured those few pounds wouldn't hurt....
Fast forward to my thirties...those carefree days of fast food and doughnuts have caught up with me big time. I hate to admit it, but I am 45 pounds above a healthy BMI. (yikes!) Given a stellar family history of diabetes, arthritis, and other disorders, and not wanting to wait another pound, I decided it was time to get serious.
I have always shied away from the various diet programs and books out there because I believe that diets are not of any value if they don't teach you how to change your eating habits for the better...permanently. Recently, a friend of mine wanted to start going to Weight Watchers again, and needed a buddy. After reviewing the program, I decided it was sound and fit what I was looking for.
I have learned that I can eat what I normally eat, cook at home or go out, and all the program has changed is make sure I eat like I should. Lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, limiting meat portions, making sure my breads and rices are whole grain, avoiding the fat-loaded sauces for lighter versions. Hmmm....sounds a lot like what we all know we should do.
I signed up for the online tracking, and that is a lifesaver. One of my deep, dark secrets is that I hate to count calories, points, etc. I hate it. I hate it. It is a pain, takes too much time, etc. etc. etc. However, the tracking program that WW offers is a god-send. Almost everything I can think of is already in the database, so all I have to do is enter in how much I ate and voila! it calculates the value and subtracts it from my daily allowance. If it's not in the database, there is a nifty calculator to do all the math and it will even save the data. Even better, it will convert any recipe I enter into a value. I love this calculator! I enjoy counting now.
I have learned that when you are a child, you can eat like a child, but when you are an adult, you must eat like an adult unless you have a killer metabolism. I am now growing up, and I have found that it is not as scary as I originally thought. I am even finding some new yummy favorite foods...without the guilt.
I will keep you posted on my journey. My first weigh-in is Friday. Wish me luck!
2 comments:
Good for you Jenny. I just joined WW myself about 6 weeks ago. I have lost 9 lbs and I am SO HAPPY about it. I think I weigh about 20 lbs less than when I lived in Oregon. YEA! I will have to try the online tracking thing. The thing that sounds the best to me is the recipe converter.
Good luck! If you want to join a weight loss blog that my sister in law started, let me know. It has helped me lots too.
Oh, and if you have any good recipes, send them my way.
Cool Jenny! I am turning 30 this year and am noticing....I need to stay away from the treasured treats too! Good for you!
Post a Comment