I have hated shoe shopping since I was young. I lived in a small, isolated town in southeastern California, and we had one shoe store. You went in, the saleperson measured your feet, brought out the shoes you liked, put them on, checked your toe, and proceeded to watch every step you made as you walked around in them. As soon as you came back from your walk (which wasn't very far because the store was small), the saleperson would grill you about how the shoes felt. I would have felt more comfortable under police interrogation.
I am so glad that in the 21st century, most shoe stores just stick the shoes out on the shelves, and you can try on pair after pair without ever having to talk to anyone. I think that is one of the greatest advancements in our modern society.
Yesterday, we had to embark on shoe shopping. Ashley hasn't had new church shoes in about a year, and she is rapidly transforming into a style-conscious teenager. The nice, simple slide sandals of last year are not "cool" this year and her toes will soon be hanging off the end. So, off we went to a store where all the shoes are on shelves....aaaah. Unfortunately, I learned a new fear with shoe shopping--price tags.
Ashley has been blessed with my family's feet genes. At age 11, she wears a 7/12 or 8, which means we are buying 8.5 or 9 minimum, and shopping in the women's department. I was floored to see nice flip flops priced at $30 a pair yesterday. We finally settled on a pair of dressy Skechers, which set us back $50. Meg lucked out (since it was the buy one get one 1/2 off sale) and got herself a snazzy pair of plaid tennies--which were $17.50 HALF OFF!!!!!!
I might not have to be under a spotlight when I am shoe shopping anymore, but it sure feels like my bank account is!
No comments:
Post a Comment