Thursday, May 15

The ultimate punishment




Two kids, new cable locks, and I am busy working on my bike. Kids get scissors, open cable locks, and get the instructions. One of our children, who wants to remain nameless (Miss A), decided to set the combos on the locks herself.

She went through the steps, set the combo, closed the lock, tumbled the combo. Done.

She went through the steps on the other lock, closed the lock, tumbled the numbers. Miss M tried it out, and couldn't get it open. Oops. Well, at least Miss A's combination worked.

Miss A put her lock on her bike and we headed out to the park to play tennis.

At the park, I locked Miss M's bike to mine with my U-lock. Miss A went to work on locking her bike. Oops, hers wouldn't open either.

She may have set a combination, but it wasn't what she thought it was. She had never actually tested it after she had "set" the combination.

So now we have two cable locks, and neither the default combo nor the "set" combination work. They are useless. I told Miss A she had one option--her lock had 9,999 possible combinations, and one of them would work. The only way to fix her lock (and her sister's) was to find that combination.

Her evening was spent entering combos. 0001, 0002, 0003, 0004, 0005...... Miss M got hold of the other lock and got to work. In about an hour, Miss M had cracked her lock. About 20 minutes later, she had cracked her sister's lock. Fortunately, it only took 2600 tries to fix both locks (much better than the possible 20,000 combos).

I can't believe Miss M fixed them that fast...I swore this would take weeks. I'm just glad everything works again.

No comments: