My husband felt the need to go into work today...he seemed to think it was a good idea to show his face before he takes the next week and a half off. I was left with a 2-wheel drive car with no chains = we're not going anywhere. Top it off with the epileptic dog, and I had a doozy of a day ahead of me.
I got my to do list done pretty early in the day, and was contemplating what to do when it hit me--I really wanted to rearrange our bedroom. Obviously, insanity had set in because what woman in her right mind says, "Hey, it's only a king size bed with headboard, footboard and rails...how hard can that be? Large armoire? Piece of cake! Dresser drawers? Child's play!"
I started with the dresser and moved it into the closet since that is where it would likely end up. Nevermind that our master bath is long hall across the back of our house...I emptied the drawers and shimmied it out of our room, through the bathroom and into the closet.
Next up: the bed. I'll spare the gruesome details, but somehow I moved a heavy pillowtop mattress off the bed and got it standing up. Then I enlisted Miss A to stand against it so it wouldn't fall over while I moved the box springs off and took apart the headboard/footboard/rails. I moved that part, got the box springs back on and somehow got the mattress back on. It wasn't until later that I discovered that although king mattresses may look square, they're not. I had to rotate that stupid, heavy, awkward mattress 90 degrees. It was amazing how much better everything fit once I turned it.
I was left with next to no room to move the armoire, but I muscled the 20" TV/VCR/DVD out and moved it over to another wall. About this time, I realized that the dresser just might fit back in the room, so I dragged it out of the closet back into the room. Oops...it didn't fit after all, so I dragged it back again (this is the third time I'd moved the stupid thing in a couple of hours). I looked at the closet and decided that since I have closed the door of it a few times in ten years that it was OK to take it off its hinges so that the dresser could fit on the big wall. Miss M thought that was the coolest thing ever, and spent the rest of the afternoon asking if she could use the screwdriver to take the other half of the hinges off the door frame. Uh, no!
About that time, my husband came home and pronounced me certifiably insane. I think I was, especially since the dog had a seizure in the middle of it. There's nothing like having your dog fall over and hit his head on your bed while you're trying to move furniture!
The room is almost put back together. I did decide to wait for my husband to move my hope chest upstairs and a side table downstairs. I guess I still have a shred of common sense left.
We're due for more snow tonight and tomorrow...could be another foot by the time we're done. Good thing my husband's not going to work until after the new year or else I might rearrange the entire house!
1 comment:
You might be crazy! You have way too much energy-- you act like you have been cooped up in your house for days on end or something! =)
Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and stay warm and dry! We are supposed to drive to Idaho the day after Christmas-- don't know if that is happening yet since we seem to be getting all of your snow storms now! I do have 4-wheel drive-- so we shall see!
Merry Christmas!
Post a Comment