Monday, February 22

Suburban Pony

After church, I turned to leave and nearly knocked down an older sister who had snuck up next to me.

"Does your daughter like horses?" she asked.

I found the question a bit odd until she explained that her pony needed grooming and she was not up to doing it. I told her it would be a dream come true for my youngest.

How anyone keeps a backyard pony in suburbia is beyond me, but today Meg and I headed over to her house. When we got to the backyard, I saw her dogs. Chihuahuas. And one was pregnant. I knew I was in for it with Megan--the puppy campaign will be commencing again shortly.

While Megan groomed the mud-caked pony, and I picked out his hooves and helped steady him while the sister trimmed them. How someone who needs back surgery and suffers from shortness of breath could do this absolutely amazed me--it was hard work.

Meanwhile the landscapers were cutting the grass at the high school across the street. In a matter of minutes, my head was an absolute faucet. I managed to survive it, but then we headed straight to violin.

On the way there, Megan dug an allergy pill out of the first aid kit for me and I tried to manage enough moisture in my mouth to swallow it. I was feeling better by the end of the lesson, but on the way home, my eyes started to burn. I held off scratching them as long as I could, but then I couldn't help myself. Driving + scratching your eyes out of your head = not the greatest driving.

When I walked through the door, my husband commented on my lovely bloodshot, swollen eyes...


But at least I wasn't alone...Ashley has pinkeye....

No comments: