Thursday, February 4

We Don't Miss a Beat....


Our family has a love/hate relationship with TV. When we get rid of the service, we love life without it. Until we start to miss it, and we get it back and enjoy it. Until we get tired of it and cut the service again. It's a cycle.

However, I was really grateful for it last week, while I was sick on the couch. Thanks to my kids, I am now up to date on Wizards of Waverly Place, The Suite Life and Hannah Montana. I think I saw each episode at least three times. Gotta love 24 hour television.

Once in a rare while, somehow the remote made it over to me. Bliss. Until I tried to find something to watch. After I caught up on all the DVR shows and watched Emma a second (and third) time, I was getting pretty desperate. That is how I found myself watching Dr. Phil one afternoon. He was dealing with his special "Dr. Phil family." As I watched, something about this family seemed vaguely familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

At the end of the show, a picture of the whole family flashed on the screen and it hit me. This was the exact same family he was dealing with years ago when I actually watched Dr. Phil occasionally. And I thought, seriously, if it didn't take the first time, why bring them back?

I have experienced TV deja-vu before. Once, I watched one episode of a sitcom, and didn't watch it again for months. When I decided to give it another try, the same episode was playing again. How was that even possible? It wasn't even rerun season.

Every time we get rid of TV, they are showing the exact same stuff when we come back a couple of years later. It's like we haven't missed a thing.

No comments: